Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Design the Perfect Piece


Trying to Design the Perfect Piece

Today, I spent the afternoon working on design possibilities for my outdoor welded sculpture.  This project presents many challenges.  I’m attempting to design a contemporary piece, not too large, with graceful lines and fluency.  I might incorporate movement.  I think we all are born with an innate desire to communicate, first through sounds but eventually written expression such as early childhood random scribbles.  Before I go much further in my design process, I need to narrow the definition of what I want the piece to communicate.  I hope I can have something in place by February 10th when we meet as a class for the 1st time. 

I wanted to share this piece I have taken from one of my magazines:

‘Sometimes,  I make myself pretend I don’t know this guy:  This is not the man I’ve climbed into bed with for more than 20 years.  No, this man (like every person) is a walking mystery story, filled with ghosts and untold tales.  Maybe there’s something about him I still don’t get.  It can help to picture yourself as two old friends talking in a coffee shop – with a friend, you would step back ten paces and explore all angles.’

Yesterday it became very obvious to me that there are many ‘angles’ to Jay I don’t understand and maybe never will.  

No comments:

Post a Comment