Monday, December 5, 2011

Can You Believe It's Been 24 Years!!!


When I met Jay I wasn’t in the market for marriage.  In addition to my divorce, I had amassed a collection of relationships that fueled my doubtful outlook.  Jay on the other hand was a relentless tide of optimism.  He told me I could count on him to make everything right.  He told me we would have enough money I would never have to work more than I already had.  He told me he would always be in control. 

Our 24th wedding anniversary is in two weeks. There have been times when Jay wasn’t in control of everything as he had promised and clouds arrived in paradise.  My usual response in times like those was not always graceful:  1.  Leave him.   2.  Stay with him and blame him.  or 3.  Stay with him, take it personally and blame myself.   With Jay, when disappointments came,   I just stayed,  no blame.  He has stopped promising me the world. 

We are happy together,  He’s a good person for me.  He can be slow and deliberate; much different from what I had in mind.  But the best part is I can continue to dream but if the dreams don’t come true, I’m not alone to pick up the pieces.  

1 comment: